How to Add a Tweet Button With Your Twitter Username into WordPress.com

UPDATE (April29, 2012): Though WordPress.com now lets you add your own twitter username when using the Tweet Button. For this you need to set up Publicize feature for Twitter. (Official message from WordPress.com here.)

NOTE: When I enabled this feature, it didn’t work at first. So I disabled and enabled again, and it worked fine for a day or two. IT HAS STOPPED WORKING AGAIN NOW.

But don’t worry.

To create your own tweet button, please go through these steps.

This button’s function include:

• adds my twitter handle / username after the Post Title and URL
  • suggests non-followers to follow me on Twitter
  • shows the main website link after RT

But this will not show the tweets count.

You can test it by using the tweet button below. ;)

Jump to Tweet + Like to learn How to Add Such Tweet Button for Your WP.com Site.

About these ads

43 thoughts on “How to Add a Tweet Button With Your Twitter Username into WordPress.com

1. Pingback: How to Add a Tweet Button With Your Twitter Username into WordPress.com | Tea Break

2. thatbackpacker

Thank you sooo much! I’ve been searching online for the past 2 days trying to see if there were any helpful forums, but this is brilliant! Problem solved! Thank you again!!

3. Buttons

Waqas, you do so well in teaching and inspiring…which brings me to this suggestion:

How about posting once a week (or monthly) about a feature in online programs people may not know exist or don’t know how to use? A “Here’s what I found!” weekly or monthly series.

Google + (which I don’t know the first thing about because I’m not in it), or Facebook, or wordpress are a start, you could expand out.
    Perhaps even invite people to ask questions of you about programs…

It would give something to write on when you are stuck for a topic (doesn’t matter when you write it, could be scheduled to publish on any day you want, pick a day you find you’re normally too busy to post).

It would bring traffic from people looking for answers to problems (just as the twitter thing did), and would increase your knowledge as well when you research topics for your posts :)
    :) my brain is working overtime today… hope you don’t mind the suggestion!

4. Team Oyeniyi

Works well! Except WP have changed the check boxes since you did your screen dumps and if you use a theme with a feature slider, and check Front Page, the display is very strange!

5. Pingback: How to Add a Tweet Button With Your Twitter Username into Wordpress.com « Waqas A Day « one cool site

6. Pingback: How to Add a Tweet Button With Your Twitter Handle On A Wordpress.com Hosted Blog « LNN: Levy News Network

7. Katherine

I was actually looking for an answer to this very question and posed it in Quora some time ago…If you are on there perhaps you would like to post a reply?

If not, I will go ahead and link to your blog post in case anyone else searches on this issue! Thanks so much for sharing this great tip.

8. Cheryl

Thank you for sharing how to do this. The steps were easy to follow, and I was able to do it!

9. Shivya

Thanks for such a precise tutorial. I’ve been battling this for a long time, and your solution worked like a breeze! I feel relieved :)

10. heartbreakunion

What about for non-wp hosted site that use Jetpack?

How do we change the php code to work with that ?

11. Danica

Thanks for the update notice! I will update my tweet button according to the WP instructions. Thanks again for your own function!

12. raincoaster

BUT, you have to set up Publicize for Twitter, which often truncates titles and makes you look like either an incompetent person who can’t count OR a lazy one who uses robots for “engagement.” I prefer your original solution, and am using it on my blogs.

13. ailsapm

Waqas, you are brilliant, sir, just brilliant. Thank you sooo much for this excellent workaround, I have been driven to distraction at the number of tweets going out without linking to my twitter handle. You have made me a very happy blogger. :)

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s